Last few posts indicated the good news of Slow down of population increase and Marginal improvement in sex ratio. However today’s post shows a deeply disturbing set of statistics, i.e., a steep fall in the child sex ratio, which ultimately is likely to affect the Country’s Gender balance.
Census 2011 reveals the shocking data of child sex ratio has declined from 927 females against 1000 males in 2001 to 914 in 2011.
The best child sex ratios are indicated by the following states, mainly being from North East & Andaman Nicobar islands
- Mizoram 971 girls per 1000 boys
- Meghalaya 970 girls per 1000 boys
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands 966 girls per 1000 boys
Kerala is close with 959.
Bottom three States for child sex ratio are
- Haryana 830 girls per 1000 boys
- Punjab 846 girls per 1000 boys
- J & K 859 girls per 1000 boys