Query- Can an Indian NGO open a branch office in USA ?

Dear SRRF Dialogue members,

We have received a set of queries from ‘Priyamvada Singh’

Q.1. If a registered NGO in India plans to set up a branch office/chapter in USA

(Mainly to mobilize resources/support for its India based social development

programme operations), what all salutary requirements are there to fulfill?

Q.2. Is it a necessary condition for such NGO (registered in India, having FCRA

And 80 G registrations) to get registered as a non-profit organization in USA

first and then under ‘501(c),’ for mobilising funds from US (providing tax

exemption to its donors from paying federal income tax)?


Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Tanvi Dogra
SRRF Dialogue, Coordinator

This entry was posted in FCRA, TAX, LEGAL. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Query- Can an Indian NGO open a branch office in USA ?

  1. priyamvada says:

    Thanks, this is helpful,
    regards, priyamvada

  2. Mathew Jose says:

    Dear All,

    In response to the query of Ms. Priyamvada Singh, for a registered NGO in India needs to set up a chapter in USA , there are no legal problems or statutory requirements in India.

    But if you want to receive resources from the USA chapter, you need to have the FCRA registration in India or prior permission.
    There are no other legal obligations in India as far as I know.

    But to register a chapter in USA you need to follow the rules applicable in US. That is it….


    Mathew Jose
    Dy. Director (F&A)

  3. In a situation like this, it is best to go with a fiscal sponsor like Give2Asia instead of setting up 501(c)3 registered charity of your own in USA unless your fundraising is going to be $0.5M or more.

Comments are closed.